ROS: Some Thoughts as Wrapping Up Research (minerals and vitamins)


As always, driven by curiosity, I started digging(?) free radicals. It was perhaps a reckless beginning, but it proved to be a valuable learning journey, correcting many of my misconceptions. Despite numerous detours and distractions along the way, I guess I eventually get to grasp the overall concept of oxygen radicals.


In fact, reactive species are not limited to oxygen alone. There are various reactive species, from reactive nitrogen species to reactive sulfur species, but this time, I focused solely on oxygen. It was beyond my capability. And although there are many different types of antioxidant enzymes, including those that were recently discovered, I only summarized the representative ones. There are also topics that these articles didn't even manage to cover. I've added them to my list of subjects I want to study in the future.


It reminds me once again, while looking into reactive oxygen species, that there is nothing in the world that is only bad or only good. Everything has dual aspects, and above all, maintaining a balance between the two is truly important and also challenging. Reactive oxygen species definitely exist for a reason, and they can't be absent entirely, nor can they be overly abundant. They shine the brightest when they exist in just the right amount.


The human body, often described as the most perfect machine in the world, when recognizing that some substances can be potentially harmful to itself, has developed built-in preventive measures and solutions. It employs enzymes to facilitate elimination, redirects harmful substances to less harmful alternatives in advance, or produces substances that can initiate removal activities on their own. Moreover, It generates substances necessary for various functions and a regeneration system is in place to prevent these substances from being depleted. However, for this intricate cogwheel-like system to function smoothly , it requires the maintenance of essential ingredients  in every nook and cranny. This is because nothing operates on its own; it works through collaboration with cofactors and coenzymes. It operates not in isolation but through collaboration with cofactors or coenzymes.


One of the things I learned from this research is that being too obsessed with the word ‘antioxidant’ can be harmful to us. Although this term may seem attractive and trustworthy, it can actually be harmful. I began to re-evaluate the ingredients, medications and various products that claimed to be 'antioxidants' or antioxidants. The question is whether consuming numerous types of antioxidants would actually increase antioxidant effectiveness. Additionally, it may be important to ensure that our body's existing antioxidant systems are functioning properly. This means recognizing the importance of essential minerals and vitamins at each stage of antioxidant activity. Personally, I cannot help but feel that the role of minerals is underestimated.


I have always firmly believed in the principle of 'food first,' thinking that food is the best medicine and that we should secure the necessary nutrients through our diet. So, I have always been skeptical about taking supplements, doubting how effectively they are absorbed by the body. However, blind faith without considering the circumstances can be dangerous. The excessive use of pesticides has led to a decrease in soil quality compared to the past, resulting in a situation where we consume far fewer nutrients even if we eat the same amount of food. Moreover, my new eating habits of not strictly adhering to three meals a day have further reduced the quantity and variety of food I consume, which made me reconsider my stance on supplements. It is essential for each individual to determine which nutrients they may need to supplement. For example, individuals with hypothyroidism often require medication to address insufficient thyroid hormone levels. This medication, in the form of T4, needs to be converted into the active form, T3, within the body, and selenium is an essential cofactor for the enzyme that facilitates this conversion. In such cases, wouldn't it be beneficial, or wise, to eat one or two Brazil nuts, which are rich in selenium?


I often got derailed from ROS, and came across many new aspects of biochemistry. It gave me an opportunity to get fascinated by the role of sulfur once again. In fact, I have always considered dietary sulfur (MSM) to be an essential nutrient, and this belief was further reinforced through this research. One meaningful achievement of this research is gaining insight into antioxidant activity, which might not receive as much attention as it deserves, as well as understanding the various minerals and vitamins crucial for the normal functioning of antioxidants. How can we turn on the switch of the enzyme without them?


When I reflect on my research, I am reminded of the complexity of biological systems and the ongoing search for balance and harmony within the body. Although research on ROS is gradually coming to a close, the knowledge and insights gained will still continue to enhance and inspire my understanding of human physiology and health.


PS.

I created diagrams using MS PowerPoint program, a tool I used to use decades ago, and how grateful I was that this program still exists. It was a relief that there's still a program like this, which even people like me, who hasn't been upgraded or updated for a long time, can still access. While there are many newer, faster, and more advanced programs available, I suppose I'm a bit old-fashioned... haha.

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement